Friday, September 7, 2007

Madeleine L’Engle, Author of A Wrinkle in Time, R.I.P.

One stormy night a strange visitor comes to the Murry house and beckons Meg, her brother, Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O’Keefe on a most dangerous and fantastic journey—a journey that will threaten their lives and our universe. -- A Wrinkle in Time


I was very fortunate to have met Madeleine L’Engle through mutual friends when I was a teen-aged boy, just as I had begun to read "Wrinkle." The acclaimed children's author has died, aged 88 years old, in New York.


“Why does anybody tell a story?” Ms. L’Engle once asked, even though she knew the answer.

“It does indeed have something to do with faith,” she said, “faith that the universe has meaning, that our little human lives are not irrelevant, that what we choose or say or do matters, matters cosmically.”


Coincidentally, Madeleine L'Engle and my mother both attended Ashley Hall in Charleston, SC. Today would have been my mother's 94th birthday. And my mother gave me the copy of "Wrinkle," lo, those many years ago. Laudate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting.

Please be considerate... no off-topic, racist, sexist or homophobic comments.

Comment moderation is on.

No anonymous comments will be accepted..